Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tropika (Red Bean Around Vancouver #1)

1830 - 4151 Hazelbridge Way, Richmond [map]
604-233-7002
[Original post date: February 2008]

My boyfriend and one of my friends have this obsession with finding the best red bean dessert in Vancouver. Specifically red bean topped with shaved ice, milk (hopefully condensed), and maybe a scoop of ice cream. If you ask me though, it’s pretty tough to find something really authentic and actually good here.

Years ago we used to frequent Gold Train Express [map] for a quick bite and there we would often get the red bean drink and orange milk shake (which was excellent). However, the place has gone downhill. We’ve been to a number of places since then, but my boyfriend and friend have yet to actually blog about any of this, lol.

Tonight we went to Tropika in Richmond for a late snack. I went there a few months ago with my family and would definitely recommend the coconut drink they have. But our goal was red bean.

First up was the simplified cendol [wiki] which comprised of red bean, green pandan noodles, condensed milk and shaved ice. I thought it was quite tasty, though not as good as the first time I had it at this restaurant. The beans were soft enough, the noodles were good, and it was definitely sweet. My biggest complaint about this was that there weren’t enough beans or noodles. I would however like to add that home-made cendol is always much better.

The second red bean treat was the red bean with coconut milk, shaved ice and ice cream. I didn’t have too much of a taste since it was my boyfriend’s order. The bites that I did have though were very coconutty, again the red bean was also of a good softness. But could’ve used more beans. I believe my boyfriend rated this to be one of the better red bean drinks he’s had.

[Recommended? Yes]

No comments:

Post a Comment