Thursday, January 15, 2009

Shiro Sushi

3096 Cambie Street [map]
604-874-0027
[Original post date: November 2007]

Shiro Sushi has become my new favourite sushi restaurant, thanks to one of my friends. It’s a pretty small place, but I have been impressed with the food so far. Wild salmon sashimi, California rolls with real crab… The portions may be smaller than a lot of other restaurants, but I think it’s still worth it. Better than gorging yourself on the all-you-can-eat stuff.

The staff is also Japanese, so you’re welcomed by a barrage of irashaimasens. The second time I was there, the staff seemed to be joking around with each other as well. One employee was constantly moving about the place, doing odd jobs here and there, I’m sure. But as a couple was leaving and they were all saying goodbye to them, the employee pretended to be with the couple and waved goodbye to the rest of the staff. That definitely gave a light mood to the place. Also, after your meal, you’re given a small package of Pocky which is a nice little touch.

Be prepared to probably spend $30 for a filling meal (not including alcohol). I believe my meal that second visit was about $20-25, which comprised of the wild salmon sashimi appetizer (5 pieces), 2 pieces of saba, 1 piece of fatty tuna I think, grilled octopus in garlic, appetizer prawn tempura, and one scoop of green tea ice cream. I don’t eat as much compared to the average person, so expect to spend a bit more.

[Recommended? Yes.]

No comments:

Post a Comment